The PBW Witch Shop is a curated selection of witchcraft and magic related zines,
books, pin-back buttons, tarot cards and more.
We focus on traditional and folkloric witchcraft, animism, chaos magic, secular witchcraft, magical herbs and plants, queer witchcraft,
tarot & Divination, witchcraft & magic in politics, history, culture, and social & racial justice, and aspects of non-Wiccan forms of witchcraft, magic, and paganism.
Pre-Covid the Portland Button Works primarily made custom pinback button. Selling zines and books was secondary and more of a hobby for me to share things I’d like to read.
Right now our business is pivoting to focus on books and zines that
people can read in the comfort and safety of their own homes.
Some items are from well known witchcraft and occult publisher and some are titles from small publishers with interesting items I don’t see in other shops but I’m excited to elevate.
Not everyone has income to buy books right now, we totally understand that, but I would love it if you were able to reblog this post or share Portland Button Works and PBW Witch Shop with your friends.
If you have been looking for a book about something specific, or if you think something would be a good fit for our catalog, get in touch. We can order almost any book in print, even if it isn’t witchcraft or magic related.
With that being said, here are some categories of items we carry:
Some good books to get you started studying witchcraft:
- Grovedaughter Witchery by Bree NicGarran
- Making Magic by Briana Saussy
- Magical Power for Beginners– How to Raise & Send Energy for Spells That Work by Deborah Lipp
- Weave The Liminal by Laura Tempest Zakroff
Some creative books to help build your witch craft practice:
- Spellcrafting– Strengthen the Power of your Craft by Creating and Casting Your Own Unique Spells by Arin Murphy-Hiscock
- D.I.Y. Magic -a Strange & Whimsical Guide to Creativity by Anthony Alvarado
- Psychic Witch– a Metaphysical Guide to Meditation, Magick, & Manifestation by Mat Auryn
- Urban Magick by Diana Rajchel
- Standing and Not Falling – a Sorcerous Primer in Thirteen Moons by Lee Morgan
- Queering the Tarot by Cassandra Snow
- Tarot for Troubled Times by Shaheen Miro & Theresa Reed
- Modern Tarot by Michelle Tea
- Next World Tarot (regular and pocket sized)
- Science Tarot
- Rider-Waite-Coleman Smith Regular sized and Mini sized
- Crow Tarot
- Modern Witch Tarot
- Cat Tarot
- Condensed Chaos by Phil Hine
- Advanced Magick for Beginners by Alan Chapman
- Chaos Protocols by Gordon White
- Hands on Chaos Magic by
- Liber Null & Psychonaut by Peter Carroll
Other books in the Chaos Magic section
- Anthologies: Becoming Dangerous: Witchy Femmes, Queer Conjurers, and Magical Rebels, Bringing Race to the Table: Exploring Racism in the Pagan Community, Shades of Ritual: Minority Voices in Practice
- Magical Resistance: Witchcraft Activism by David Salisbury, Magic for the Resistance by Michael Hughes, Revolutionary Witchcraft by Sarah Lyons
- Witches and Feminist Perspectives: Caliban and the Witch by Silvia Federici, Witches, Midwives and Nurses by
Barbara Ehrenreich and Deirdre English
, Witches Sluts Feminists by
Kristen J. Sollee
- Pagan Anti-Capitalism: Pagan Anarchism True to the Earth: Pagain Political Thology by Kadmus, All That is Sacred is Profaned: A Pagan Guide to Marxism by Ryhd Wildermuth, A Pagan Anti-Capitalist Primer
- Queer Witchcraft: Witchcraft and the Gay Counter Culture, Sapphomanteion a Lesbian Oracle, Queering the Tarot
- Green Witchcraft: The Green Witch by Arin Murray-Hiscock, Green Witchcraft by Paige Vanderbeck
Plants and Herbs: Under the Witching Tree by Corinne Boyer, Under the Bramble Arch by Corinne Boyer
- The Poison Path: Veneficuim: Magic, Witchcraft and the Poison Path by Daniel Schulke, Pharmo/Gnonsis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path by Dale Pendell , Plants of the Devil by Corinne Boyer
- Witchy Crafts: Pestlework: a Book of Magical Powders and Oils by Bree NicGarran, Sew Witchy by Rachel Henderson, Sigil Witchery by Lara Tempest Zakroff
Books on Atheopaganism
Other Pagan Perspectives
- Jailbreaking the Goddess: A Radical Revisioning of Feminist Spirituality by Lasara Firefix Allen
- The Wakeful World: Anismism, Mind, and the Self in Nature by Emma Restall Orr
- Circling the Star by Anthony Rella
- All That Is Sacred is Profaned: A Pagan Guide to Marxism by Rhyd Wildermuth
- Traditional Witchcraft: A Cornish Book of Ways by Gemma Gary
- A Deed Without A Name: Unearthing the Legacy of Traditional Witchcraft by Lee Morgan
- Crooked Path: An Introduction to Traditional Witchcraft by Keldon
- Backwoods Witchcraft by Jake Richards
- Besom Stand and Sword A Guide to Traditional Witchcraft the Six-Fold Path the Hidden Landscape by
& Tara Love Maguire
- Southern Cunning: Folkloric Witchcraft in the American South by Aaron Oberon
- Folk Witchcraft by
- The Flame in the Cauldron by Orion Foxwood
- Craft of the Untamed by Roger Horne
What are zines? Small independently made magazine and pamphlets filled with stories and unique ideas that you won’t find from major publishers!
We carry more than just witchy books.
Here are some of the other titles we carry:
- You Were Born For This: Astrology for Radical Self-Acceptance by Chani Nicholas
- When Language Runs Dry: An Anthology for People with Chronic Pain and their Allies
- What is Gender Nihilism?
- Be Gay Do Crime by The Mary Nardini Gang
- Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher
- You Black Friend by Ben Passmore
- Learning Good Consent an Anthology edited by Cindy Crabb
- How To Talk To Your Cat about Gun Safety and Abstinence, Drugs, Satanism and Other Dangers that Threaten Their Nine Lives
- Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- Honoring your Ancestors by
- Do-it-Your Self Guide to Fighting the Big Motherfucking Sad by Adam Gnade
- Yes, I’m Flagging: Queer Flagging 101 by Archie Bongiovanni
All items are shipped from Portland, Oregon in plain packaging or United States Postal Service Flat Rate envelopes or boxes with the return address as Portland Button Works. We ship daily and most order come with small fun gifts of buttons or magnets.
Thank you so much for supporting your local witch!
New This week! 2 September 2020
- Magical Writing Grimoire: Use the Word as Your Wand for Magic, Manifestation, & Ritual by Lisa Marie Basile
- 54 Devil: The Art and Folklore of Fortune-telling with Playing Cards by Corey hutcheson
- Five Principles of Green Witchcraft by Asa West
- Murder of Crows Tarot deck
- Architecture/ Astrology
By Dan Graham and Jessica Russell
- Light Magic for Dark Times by Lisa Marie Basile
- Pharmako/Dynamis: Stimulating Plants, Potions, and Herbcraft by
- Enchantments by Mya Spalter
- Slingshot 2021 Organizer in Small pocket sized and larger spiral bound
Notes: I know a lot of the Troy Books are currently out of stock because I can’t currently get them from the big book distributor. However! I’ve set up an account directly with their US distributor and should have them back in my next round of orders. I’m also out of a lot of the Three Hands Press books for the same reason and inquiring directly with them about how to remedy this.
Super stoked to FINALLY have the Modern Witch Tarot back in stock.
I was finally able to restock Troy Books and added some new ones to the catalog! Check all the Troy Books titles we carry here.
New this week:
- Cecil Williamson’s Book of Witchcraft: A Grimoire of the Museum of Witchcraft by Steve Patterson
- The Devil’s Dozen by Gemma Gary
- Silent as the Trees: Devonshire Witchcraft, Folklore & Magic by Gemma Gary
- Wortcunning: A Folk Medicine Herbal by Nigel G. Pearson
- True Heart Intuitive Tarot by Rachel True
- Game Of Thrones Tarot
- Pride Tarot (A Collaborative Tarot)
- Zombie Tarot
Plant Powers, Poisons, and Herbcraft
by Dale Pendell
- The Otherworlds Review –
collection includes all seven issues
- Solidarity Networks & Emergency Survival from Gods & Radicals
- Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds
by Adrienne Maree Brown
- Weird Walk Zine #2, Weird Walk #3, & Magic Circle Zine
- Modern Witch Tarot Journal by Lisa Sterle (companion journal to the Modern Witch Tarot)
- Knot Magic by Sarah Bartlett (I very much disagree with the “Witch’s Oath” found at the beginning of this book but I did enjoy this book as a discussion of uses of knot magic)
- Use Coupon Code: IANB for 15% off from Thursday until Monday November 30!
- New in Catalog: Rituals & Declarations #3 & Rituals & Declarations #4
- We have gift certificates! Order gift certificates in any denomination here and a digital code will be emailed to you or your recipient OR You can purchase certain denominations from the website and we will send you a physical gift certificate for gift giving.
- How To Be Alive in a Dying World zine – a thoughtful new zines by Finn from Everyday Magic zine (which we just restocked all issues)
- Witch Hunt: A Traveler’s Guide to the Power and Persecution of the Witch
Kristen J. Sollée (same author as Witches, Sluts Feminists)
- Women of Science Tarot
- On Looking: A Walker’s Guide to the Art of Observation
I’m also putting together some gift guides with some stuff from our shop. The first one I just made is for people with oddly specific interests. It contains zines and books about a conspiracy theory of Kurt Cobain being lactose intolerant, StarTrek, Beer brewing, Popcorn, Price, Architecture and more!
Last day for Christmas arrivals in the US (if that’s important to you) is to have your order in by 3PM Pacific time on December 19th!
New in stock 11 December 2020!
New In Stock 17 December 2020!
- The Golden Girls Tarot Deck (check the photos of the cards on our site, they’re a riot!)
- The Literary Witches Oracle
- Demons and Spirits of the Land: Ancestral Lore and Practices by Claude Lecouteux
- The Tradition of Household Spirits:
Ancestral Lore and Practices
by Claude Lecouteux
For arrival by December 24th you must order by Friday, December 18, 2020 and use Priority Mail. The USPS is overloaded this year and I want to make sure you get your stuff. If that’s not a concern, we still ship daily!
This is probably the last time I’m post this ginormous thing and I’ll be breaking it all down again in the new year. If you have received something from us and have enjoyed it, why not post a review on our website of at Portland Button Works?